Renfrew Trinity Church

Home » Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

Mr Adamson’s Ministry Begins


Another long and popular ministry had come to an end and once again the congregation had to set about looking for a successor. The usual procedure had to be followed – the vacancy committee, the hearing of candidates and finally the call.

In time, the vacancy committee decided to recommend the Reverend Sidney Adamson MA BD CF of St Ninian’s Church, Sanquhar as sole nominee. On Sunday 18th May 1947 Mr Adamson preached at Trinity Church and, at a Congregational Meeting held the following evening, he was unanimously elected. The call to Mr Adamson was signed by 425 members and 56 adherents. Mr Adamson was inducted to the charge on Wednesday 25th June 1947 and on the Thursday there was the usual induction social. At the Sunday morning service the new minister was introduced to the congregation by the Reverend G.N. Warner BD and the service that evening was conducted by Mr Adamson himself.

During the previous ministry, the Session had reached a decision about a memorial to the men from Trinity who had been killed in the Second World War. In September of 1946 the Session had decided that it should take the form of a new Communion Table, a lectern and a baptismal font. It was realised that it might be some time before this scheme could be carried out and so it was decided that, in the meantime, a brass plaque would be erected in the church bearing the names of the fallen. In this new ministry, however, the question was raised again. It was now planned to erect two oak panels, inscribed with the names of the fallen, one on each side of the existing memorial in the church vestibule. These panels were unveiled in 1948. The work of preparing designs and raising funds for the Communion Table went ahead. Finally, in June 1950 the new furniture was dedicated. Six months later, two suitably inscribed brass vases were presented by the Junior Bible Class for use on the new Communion Table. The thanks of the Session were conveyed to the class through Mr William Milliken, their leader.

The Girl’s Association, which had been struggling for some time, was finally disbanded and it was announced at a Session Meeting held on the 30th March 1949 that its funds had been transferred to the war memorial fund. The choir of the Young People’s Society, whose secretary was Miss Marie Campbell, had given the proceeds of some of their concerts to establish the hall seating fund and, in 1950, new seating was provided for the church hall. On the 7th September it was announced at a Session Meeting that the Young People’s Society might not be revived that winter owing to lack of support.

The Christmas Eve Watchnight Service, which has become an annual event at Trinity, was inaugurated by Mr Adamson in 1950.

In 1951 the financial position of the congregation gave cause for concern due to an accumulation of adverse factors. The large hall required redecoration and the floor needed treatment following the use of that building as a service canteen and later as a club room. The heating had to be overhauled and the organ required to be cleaned and have the blower renewed. There were, in addition, two items which had not been foreseen – the outbreak of dry rot in the church and a severe attack of woodworm in the manse.

It was decided by the office bearers that a fete should be organised to raise money to pay for all these repairs. A joint meeting of elders and managers followed on 7th November and plans were drawn up to ensure the success of the fete. The intention was to hold at least some of the activities out of doors but, as often happens when outdoor events are arranged in this country, the weather was unfavourable. Consequently the games and other outdoor activities had to be abandoned and all the stalls were set up inside the halls which had been specially decorated for the purpose. Altogether the place looked very bright with flags at both back and front gates. Another striking effect was the floodlighting of the front of the church. The fete proved to be a great success and the sum of £1,474 was deposited in the fabric fund.

In the months leading up to the fete, several things worth noting had happened at Trinity. The Young People’s Society had folded and its assets were transferred to the Session’s contingency fund. On Sunday 14th June Prof. John Mauchline DD, Principal of Trinity College, Glasgow presented a long service certificate to Mr Alexander Mitchell, who on that very day celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of his ordination as an elder. In the same month, the managers decided to proceed with the redecoration of the large hall.

On 26th October, the Session considered a circular from the Presbytery’s Home Mission Committee about a national evangelical movement called “Tell Scotland”. As the local effort was to be a joint venture involving all the churches, progress towards an active policy was slow and there was to be a new minister at Trinity before preparation changed into action. Mr Adamson announced to the Session at a meeting on Friday 11th June 1954 that he had accepted the call presented to him by the High Kirk of Rothesay. Mr Adamson was inducted to his new charge on Wednesday 25th August of the same year. He remained there for about four years after which he was called to the Church of Inveresk, St. Michael’s, Musselburgh.

Back to Chapter 8  or  Continue to Chapter 10

%d bloggers like this: